Now that we have our nominees for the fall election, I’m going to repeat what I’ve done in prior presidential election years and summarize regularly what’s happening on the campaign trail. Immigration, as always, remains front and center in the campaign and I’m not going to rehash for readers what they already have heard numerous times. Rather, I’ll be posting links and comments on what’s new that’s being said.
Here is news from the last few days –
- Senator Lindsey Graham is promising the relaunch the “Gang of Eight” bipartisan effort in the Senate to produce an immigration reform bill. Graham thinks the political environment will be better at the beginning of 2017. Questions remain over whether Senators John McCain and Marco Rubio would rejoin the team. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2016/07/05/sen-graham-promises-gang-eight-sequel-to-work-on-new-immigration-reform-bill/
- Senate Republicans are going to try and push through a bill that would withhold congressional funding from so-called sanctuary cities. Democrats are expected to block the bill which will no doubt be talked about in various campaigns. http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2016-07-05/guns-immigration-and-zika-top-agenda-as-congress-returns
- New York Magazine’s Ed Kilgore has a new story entitled “Anti-Immigrant Court Victories Could Backfire on the GOP” which discusses how the recent Texas v. US Supreme Court case could increase Latino voter turnout. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/07/anti-immigration-victories-could-backfire-on-gop.html
- Newsweek has a new article comparing Trump’s immigration positions to Proposition 187 in California. http://www.newsweek.com/proposition-187-anti-immigration-donald-trump-477543
I’ll try and post these links as I see them here and on my Twitter feed (@gsiskind). Feel free to post links in the comments as well.
Latest posts by Greg Siskind (see all)
- Immigrant of the Week: Charlize Theron - March 6, 2020
- Immigrant of the Week: Alberto Pérez - March 2, 2020
- Immigrants of the Week: Andrew Cherng & Tsiang Cherng - February 24, 2020